Care Of Diabetic Patient At Home
Diabetes is a disease that affects people across all ages, races and genders. One is said to be diabetic when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin which leads to high blood sugar in the body. However, diabetes can be managed by managing one’s diet, through medication and by monitoring one’s blood sugar levels. If not taken care of properly, Diabetes can lead to several life-threatening conditions. Following are the three major types of diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes – This can occur at any age but is generally diagnosed in children, teens or young adults. This occurs when the body makes small amounts of insulin or none at all.
- Type 2 Diabetes – This is mostly diagnosed during adulthood and increasingly in teens and young adults because of obesity.
- Gestational Diabetes – This occurs in women who develop high blood sugar during pregnancy even when they did not previously have the disease.
Following are the signs and symptoms of diabetes that you should be aware of:
- Increase in thirst
- Having to urinate frequently
- Experiencing extreme hunger
- Unexplained weight loss
- Having blurred vision
- Slow healing wounds
- High blood pressure
- Frequent infections such as vaginal or bladder infections
Some of the Risk Factors for Diabetes include the following:
- Being obese or overweight
- Lack of exercise or inactivity
- Because of family history
- Age – The older you are, the higher the risk of diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
- Polycystic Ovary syndrome
- High blood pressure
- Abnormal Cholesterol levels
- High levels of triglycerides
Some of the complications of diabetes include the following:
- Cardiovascular disease such as stroke, heart attack or atherosclerosis
- Nerve damage, especially in the legs. Symptoms include numbness, burning or pain
- Kidney damage that can cause kidney failure
- Eye damage
- Foot Damage which can cause cuts or blisters. When left untreated it can cause infections, which can even lead to leg amputation.
How Is Diabetes Treated?
There is no cure for diabetes, however the disease can be well managed through medication, diet and exercise. The management of the diseases involves maintaining a healthy weight through foods that are rich in nutrition and low in calories such as fruits, whole grains and vegetables – instead of fatty, sugary foods. Physical activity and exercise is also a crucial part of managing weight and in lowering the body’s blood sugar levels. Medication and monitoring of blood sugar levels regularly is also important for people with diabetes. In addition to all of this, some people may also need insulin therapy throughout the day or may have to take oral or injected medications to manage their diabetes.
Home Healthcare for Diabetic Patients
Homecare for diabetes patients involves medical assistance and care from nursing professionals who are well versed in diabetes management. Diabetic patient care at home has two main objectives and goals: 1) To increase the patient’s knowledge and ability to effectively manage their diabetes and the diet and care required for the same, and 2) To help prevent hospitalization or shorten hospital stays.
Through home healthcare for diabetic patients, skilled and experienced nursing professionals can educate the patient and the family about diabetes medication and how to administer them. Along with this, the nurses will also educate you about the signs and symptoms and on how to treat hyperglycemia (too high blood glucose level) and hypoglycemia (too low blood glucose level). Nurses can also help through guidance about a healthy diet low in concentrated carbohydrates and sweets. Nurses can also regularly undertake foot exams to avoid complications of diabetes. All in all, by choosing services of homecare for diabetes, you can avail help and support in managing the patient’s diseases, can ensure their health is monitored by medical professionals and can treat and prevent any complications, right in the comfort of your own home.
What Are The Benefits Of Homecare For Diabetes Patients?
Living with diabetes can be challenging. It can be hard to consistently maintain a healthy lifestyle while managing blood sugar and insulin levels. Hiring services for diabetic patient care at home can ensure that the patient is well taken care of and the burden of caregiving responsibilities does not fall on members of the family. Homecare for diabetes patients ensures that the patients are cared for in the comfort of their own home, in familiar surroundings and around loved ones. Here are some more benefits of home care for diabetes patients:
1. Medication Management
Diabetes is controlled and managed through the use of insulin. Tracking blood sugar is an exercise that needs to be undertaken regularly and consistently. Nursing professionals ensure that this is well taken care of. Especially for patients who are elderly, this is important because if blood sugar levels are too high or too low, it can affect brain function and cause confusion. Having a nursing professional take care of medication management will ensure that the patient’s symptoms of low or high blood sugar levels are recognized on time and an emergency situation can be avoided.
2. Improves Quality of Life
A nursing professional can take care of both the medical and non medical needs of the patient, which can significantly improve the patient’s quality of life. Right from assistance medication management to guidance on nutrition and health, and so on, a nurse can help improve the day to day life of a diabetes patient, especially if they are elderly or if their diabetes has progressed a lot.
3. Regular Monitoring Of Blood Glucose
Like mentioned earlier, checking blood glucose regularly is an important and unavoidable aspect of managing diabetes. However, for elderly patients with diabetes, this can be hard because of lack of dexterity or compromised vision. Nurses can help with this through hired services of homecare for diabetes patients. They cannot just keep a check on blood glucose levels regularly but can also keep logs to help medical professionals make adjustments to the patient’s medications.
4. Assistance in Deciding Nutritious Meals
A healthy diet and good nutrition is crucial in the management of diabetes. Patients with severe diabetes or who are elderly, it can be difficult for them to plan their meals or figure out what’s healthiest for them. In such a scenario, having the help of professional nursing members can ensure that their meals are managed in accordance with the dietary requirements in diabetes.
5. Assistance with Compromised Eyesight and Mobility
Diabetes affects the eyes and nerve endings and many elderly patients tend to have issues walking because of damaged nerves in the feet and because of issues in eyesight. This can make it difficult for them to undertake day to day tasks, can put them at the risk of falls and can affect their quality of life. Nursing professionals can provide the support required for such patients and can assist them in activities of daily living.
Home Care for Diabetes In Dubai | First Response Healthcare
First Response Healthcare (FRH) offers professional, high quality and reliable home health care for diabetic patients in Dubai. FRH is a renowned home healthcare company that offers customized high-quality, patient centered services for homecare for diabetes. FRH’s services are of international standards, and we have received the Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission International Standards for our quality healthcare services.
FRH has a team of highly competent & DHA licensed, trained, and experienced nurses who can deliver home healthcare and personal care services for diabetes patients in the comfort of their own home. We also have a team of internationally trained and very experienced doctors, physiotherapists and medical experts who can also visit your home, hotel or office to provide medical aid and support for your family member. Our team of nurses and medical professionals provide their services 24*7, 365 days, even on weekends and public holidays. Our team can visit you anywhere within the Emirate of Dubai. Our team ensures that we treat all patients with care, respect and dignity.
Features That Make FRH Different:
- Time for appointments: You can schedule an appointment with us at anytime, since our services are available 24*7 all year round, even on weekends and public holidays.
- Time to reach you: We can reach you within 30* minutes after you call us.
- Areas Our Services Cover: We can come to you anywhere within Emirate of Dubai
- Where all our Doctors can visit you in Dubai: We can visit you at your home, hotel or office
- Only DHA Nurses Deployed: Our team of nurses is licensed, trained and experienced in providing best quality care.
- Medication Compliance: Our team of nurses can help with medication compliance and medication management. They are also trained to administer all types of injections prescribed by the doctor.
- Patient Education: Our team of nurses doesn’t just work with the diabetic patient but also with the family. Our nursing staff will provide you continuous patient and family education in your own home.
To avail services for diabetic patient care at home, you can contact First Response Healthcare by calling on 0505050387 or 800DIALDOC. You can also book an appointment online by visiting https://firstresponsehealthcare.com/ae/dubai