21 Home Remedies to Prevent Heartburn/Acid Reflux
What is Heartburn? Heartburn Causes
The heartburn is an unpleasant sensation of burning in the pit of the stomach that gradually rises to the neck and throat, leading to the sour taste so characteristic. The heartburn, is a fairly common problem that affects a large number of people and that, while treatable, can even be prevented by following a proper heartburn remedies.
In general, heartburn is considered a minor disorder that does not pose a serious health risk, but its persistence can lead to more serious disorders such as esophagitis and, consequently, bleeding or difficulty swallowing, an ulcer or ulcer process. by gastroesophageal reflux or GERD.
Heartburn is characterized by a burning sensation in the pit of the stomach. In addition, it is common to suffer from the sensation that food or liquids return to the throat or mouth. Other symptoms of heartburn are:
- Flatulence or gases.
- A slower digestion.
- Bitter and acid taste in the mouth.
Heartburn Remedies and Prevention
The heartburn is one of the main symptoms of gastric reflux disease and almost always occurs due to the ingestion of certain foods that are considered particularly irritating action.
For this reason, the best way to avoid heartburn is to make changes in diet and your lifestyle, which involve:
- Make smaller meals several times a day, preferably light and with little fat content.
- Chew food properly and eat slowly.
- Control weight and obesity.
- Take stomach protectors if we are going to take medication such as ibuprofen.
- Moderate tomato consumption or sauces derived from this food.
- Beware of sweets and chocolate, as they are very heavy on our stomachs.
- Avoid drinking coffee and black tea.
- Do not drink a lot of alcohol and avoid tobacco.
- Do not eat spices or hot sauces.
- Avoid citrus foods and mint as much as possible.
- Avoid cigarettes.
- Do not eat large amounts of food and follow a healthy diet like the Mediterranean.
- Dinner, at least, two hours before going to bed to avoid reflux at bedtime.
- Milk, nuts and infusions are very good to avoid heartburn.
- Take baking soda in warm water to neutralize the acidity.
- Do not perform intense physical exercise after eating.
- Do not lie down right after eating, if at all 2 or 3 hours after doing it.
- Sleep with your head elevated about 15 cm to avoid reflux of gastric acid.
- Decrease both physical and emotional stress.
- Practice exercises that promote relaxation.
- Avoid the use of tight-fitting garments, especially in the waist area.
Acidity does not usually represent a serious problem for our health but we must control its appearance to avoid major problems such as esophageal cancer. Eating slowly, avoiding large amounts of food and having dinner two hours before bedtime, will improve our stomach health and prevent heartburn.
While it is true that the above heartburn remedies can be helpful when it comes to preventing aciditiy, if you find any symptoms, it is necessary to go to a doctor or health provider who performs the proper diagnosis and prescribes the adequate treatment, in order to reduce the effects of acidity or gastric reflux and thus ensure the good health of the patient.