Pediatric Physiotherapy at Home
Children are built differently than adults in terms of how they move and function. Moreover, helping a child through physiotherapy is very different from helping adults from the lens of difference in anatomy, physiology, and psychology. And thus, a child will benefit more from seeing a physiotherapist who is an expert in paediatrics, rather than with someone who works and trains with adults. Paediatric physiotherapists specialize in development of movement in children, along with their overall development. Given how important movement is, as an aspect of development for infants and children, Pediatric Physiotherapyis essential to ensure a child’s optimum learning and growing.
What Is Pediatric Physiotherapy?
Pediatric Physiotherapyis about assessment, identification, diagnosis and treatment of difficulties and challenges related to child development and movement. Paediatric Physiotherapists are basically movement specialists who work to ensure a child’s optimum movement abilities through movement training, motor learning and play, strengthening, exercise, stretching, therapy programmes and education. They first conduct pediatric physiotherapy assessment and then work together with the child, the child’s family, teachers and educators to enable the child to move and participate in regular everyday activities of playing, learning, going to school, etc. Paediatric Physiotherapists develop customized, individualized programmes for infants, children and adolescents using fun, games, and creativity to ensure the child’s effective well-being and functioning. They also use the latest interventions and assessment tools to assist with any problem big or small.
Who Can Benefit from Paediatric Physiotherapy?
There are several childhood disorders and diseases that become the cause for movement dysfunction and motor skill issues. Pediatric physiotherapycan help in treatment and rehabilitation of children struggling because of the following diseases or disorders:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down Syndrome
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spina Bifida
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Cardio-Pulmonary Disorders
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Over and above this, Pediatric physiotherapy can also help children and infants who are:
- Slow in achieving motor milestones, for example, children who are late in learning how to sit, walk or crawl
- Show unusual patterns of moving, for example toe walking, sitting or bottom shuffling, etc.
- Clumsy and have uncoordinated movements
- Having conditions that affect bones, joints, or muscles such as flat feet, overly flexible or dislocating joints, clubfoot, etc.
- Suffering from rumination
- Showing symptoms of hypotonia and developmental coordination disorder
- Suffering from orthopedic conditions such scoliosis, sports injuries, back pain, fractures or orthopedic surgeries
- Children who have poor posture or children who frequently complain of muscular pain
Pediatric physiotherapy may also be useful for newborn babies who are:
- Premature or have low birth weight
- Facing difficulties in turning their heads
- Unable to tolerate any tummy time
- More than 7 weeks old and have flat spots on the back or side of their heads,
- Having difficulties when they roll, sit, crawl, or walk
- Showing poor balance and coordination and have frequent falls
- Toddlers who have pigeon toes, bow legs, in-rolling ankles, knock knees
In all the above-mentioned difficulties and conditions, pediatric physiotherapy aims to help with and improve the:
- low muscle tone, strength, and endurance
- poor or under-developed coordination and balance
- poor core and trunk stability
- Mechanics of body and joints and its alignment
- Communication difficulties
- Sensory challenges
What Are the Different Types of Pediatric Physiotherapy?
The different types of Pediatric Physiotherapy include:
- Neurological Pediatric Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is meant to help children suffering from difficulties in mobility, balance and muscle strength, since these dysfunctionalities have a direct impact on a child’s growth and development. Through Neurological Pediatric Physiotherapy, the physiotherapist works to improve the child’s physical development and optimize his/her capacity and capability.
- Respiratory Pediatric Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is meant to help children suffering from respiratory conditions. Physiotherapy can help with chronic conditions and can help the child maintain clear airways, and with secretion management.
- Developmental Pediatric Physiotherapy: This type of physiotherapy is useful in helping the child achieve specific development goals when the growth and progress is delayed or slowed. Physiotherapy can help achieve the physical milestones learning how to walk, sit or talk.
- Pediatric Physiotherapy for Learning Difficulties: The goal of this type of physiotherapy is to help improve cognitive and functional abilities of a child. It can help improve the child’s ability and skill to understand and process information, to learn new things and to help the child communicate effectively.
- Musculoskeletal Pediatric Physiotherapy: The goal of this type of physiotherapy is to help with Musculoskeletal problems that cause issues to bones, joints and muscles. Physiotherapy can help with decreasing the pain, can help children recover quickly and can help them function more effectively.
What Is the Role of A Pediatric Physiotherapist?
A physiotherapist first evaluates the condition of the child. He/she looks at and assesses flexibility, posture, strength, balance, sensory processing, and coordination, and then works to improve the same. The goal of the physiotherapist is to improve the child’s strength and range of motion so as to help him/her function and move more comfortably and easily in his/her environment. The physiotherapist will use a range of methods, tools, and techniques to achieve the same. This will include massage therapy, therapeutic exercises, muscle stretching, joint mobilization and manipulation, dry needling, among others. The physiotherapist will make the sessions feel like play and fun for the child through age-appropriate activities that will make the child feel interested and happy. Over and above this, the physiotherapist will also work in close contact with the family, doctor, teachers, and child’s support system to ensure everybody is well versed with what the child needs and how to help the child function most optimally. The physiotherapist will also guide on the correct handling of various equipment such as pushers and mobility aids, etc.
What To Expect When You Go for A Physiotherapy Appointment for Your Child?
During the first physiotherapy appointment, the pediatric physiotherapist will observe your child’s motor and overall development using unique and specific hands-on assessment techniques Through this, the physiotherapist will be able to identify the areas in which the child is doing well, the area in which he/she is struggling and the areas that could be worked on and improved. Post this analysis, the physiotherapist will design a customized plan for your child that will help maximize your child’s abilities. At this point, you can raise any questions or concerns that you might have about the process of treatment and therapy.
What Are the Benefits of Pediatric Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy not just has physical benefits, but it also benefits the child mentally. Through physiotherapy, children can effectively learn motor skills and functional mobility skills. Being able to perform simple tasks and activities leads to a sense of achievement and independence, and this eventually helps the child with building a healthy self-esteem and developing confidence. Physiotherapy also acts as a preventive measure to help young athletes avoid injury. Moreover, physiotherapy acts as a rehabilitative tool to gain back the level of activity, functionality and mobility after a surgery. It helps in getting in much better shape after an injury and enables one to resume optimum movement and activity much faster.
Pediatric Physiotherapy at Home in Dubai | First Response Healthcare
Taking your child frequently to a hospital or physiotherapy center for his/her physiotherapy sessions might be challenging for you. Moreover, Pediatric physiotherapymight work best at home since home is an environment where your child is most comfortable and at ease. Being and learning in a familiar environment can prove to be an added advantage. Taking your child out in places like hospitals, clinics or physiotherapy centers can also be risky because of the spread of COVID-19 infections.
Thus, if taking out time from your busy schedule is hard, or if you want to avoid commuting in traffic or if you just want to make sure your child undertakes therapy in the safest, most familiar environment, home pediatric physiotherapy in Dubai is the best option for you.
Through the service of home pediatric physiotherapy in Dubai, an experienced physiotherapist will visit you in the comfort of your home at a time that suits you best.
First Response Healthcare (FRH) provides specialized service of home physiotherapy in Dubai. Through our ‘Physiotherapy on Call’; Service, we provide in-home physiotherapy at a location of your choice, which could be your home, office or hotel. We have received the Gold Seal of Approval by Joint Commission International Standards for Home Healthcare for maintaining high quality standards in our services. Moreover, our Physiotherapy team comprises highly trained, experienced, qualified, and licensed physiotherapists who are well equipped with portable equipment to providephysiotherapy at home. All our physiotherapists have commendable clinical experience and are licensed by the Dubai Health Authority.
Why Should You Get Pediatric Physiotherapy Treatment in Dubai From FRH:
Flexible Appointments: We adapt to your schedule, and you can book an appointment with us 24*7, even on weekends and public holidays.
Quick Services: We can reach your home, hotel, or office within 30* minutes after you book an appointment.
Locations Covered: Entire Emirate of Dubai.
Place of Your Convenience: Our team can offer services at your home, hotel or office.
Customized Services – Our physiotherapist will offer a treatment plan based on your child’s needs and requirements.
One-on-One Attention– We prioritize your needs and expectations and take the time to understand your requirements before we design a customized plan for your child.
Communicated Recovery Process – We make sure to keep you updated with Regular Progress Reports of your child.
To avail services of pediatric physiotherapy in Dubai, all you need to do is call on 0505050387 or 800DIALDOC. You can also book an appointment online by visitinghttps://firstresponsehealthcare.com/ae/dubai